- Lord of Destruction expansion was released on 29 June 2001, one year to the day after the release of Diablo II. New characters are Expansion characters by default.
- There are separate Ladders for Expansion and Expansion Hardcore. Titles awarded upon completion of each difficulty also differ:
- Unless stated otherwise, all content of this wiki is valid for the current patch of the Expansion: all classes, items, allies, quests, areas and monsters are available. Some remaining differences between Classic and Expansion are outlined below.
- Level < 20 characters cannot complete the Rite of Passage quest in Normal, and thus cannot complete Normal: for the same reason, level < 40 characters cannot complete Nightmare and level < 60 characters cannot complete Hell. Unhelpfully, the quest log does not reveal this until the Ancients have already been defeated once (although the level requirements are mentioned in the patch notes for 1.08).
- Player Chance of Blocking is dependent on character level and Dexterity.
- Resistance penalty for player and mercenary is -40 in Nightmare and -100 in Hell. This applies to the following:
- Stash size is 6x8, not 6x4 as in Classic.
- Can equip a second weapon, set of weapons, or weapon and shield, to swap weapons using a key or mouse button.
- Different magic and rare affixes are available, including the following:
- Mercenaries can follow characters between Acts.
- Mercenaries can be given items or potions.
- Mercenary screen is available, so stats can be viewed.
- Resistance penalty for mercenary is -40 in Nightmare and -100 in Hell. This applies to the following:
- Mercenaries can be resurrected.
- Pets can follow characters between Acts.
- Area levels are different from those in Classic.